The learning outcomes are:
- Listen for information and enjoyment, and respond appropriately and critically in a wide range of situations.
- Communicate confidently and effectively in spoken language in a wide range of situations.
- Write different kinds of factual and imaginative texts for a wide range of purposes.
- Use language to think and reason, as well as to access, process and use information for learning.
- Use the sounds, words and grammar of the language to create and interpret texts.
To strengthen children’s love for stories and storytelling I have written a selection of stories that I have recorded professionally onto CD. Listening forms an integral part of reading and these stories allow children to listen and play at the same time. Each story is about 20 minutes long. The language is designed to extend the listeners vocabulary.
Questions at the end of each story are there to test there comprehension of the story. In some of the stories there are activities that can be done with the parent and form an extension of the story itself and also help the child draw from their own experience.
Developing a love for books and stories allows children to share with others and explore their emotions safely. Sometimes being able to identify within a character makes it easier to cope with their situations in their own lives.
The CDs are aimed to enhance listening, comprehension and enjoyment. In today’s world children are bombarded with images and often not expected to think for themselves or use their auditory skills.
The stories currently available are:
- Harriet the Hippo
- The adventures of Harriet the Hippo and her friends at the Swanzi watering hole.
- Simon and David’s misunderstanding
- Two brothers learn to sort out their differences without fighting.
- Simon and David go it alone
- How the two brothers deal with the older sibling going off to ‘big school’.
- Henry’s grand adventure
- Henry the hamster goes home from the pet shop with Sally only to find that it is a big world out there.
- Henry goes to school
- Henry goes to school with Sally and has an adventure in the playground.
- Henry goes on holiday
- Sally learns that even on holiday your pets are a responsibility.
- Henry discovers the outdoors
- Henry discovers another new world outside.
- Toby’s Gift
- Toby’s drawing of a robot comes to life because of his love for his mom.
- Gerald the Germ
- Gerald the Germ must contend with the body’s protection system led by Annie Antibody and Ian Immuno.
- Nathan the Forest Gnome
- Nathan must protect the forest and it’s creatures from people.
- Joseph & the Secret Panel
- Joseph goes on adventures after finding a secret panel in his cupboard.